Last updated: Sunday, June 14, 2026, 10:00 a.m. ET (14:00 UTC). This is a Risk Watch post. Confirmed facts and observed reaction are reported first. Forward-looking scenarios follow, separately labeled.

TL;DR

  • Iran's foreign ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei said on Sunday that the US-Iran memorandum of understanding will not be signed today, contradicting President Trump's Saturday Truth Social claim that the document would be signed Sunday.
  • Baghaei cited the US side's "inconsistency" as the reason for Iran's caution about timing while leaving open the possibility of a signing in the coming days.
  • US cash markets are closed today, so the first price test arrives at the Asia equity open and the Sunday-evening reopen of CME index and energy futures.
  • Traders should treat the deal as live but slipped, not dead. Oil downside on a clean signing is intact. The risk now is a stretched timeline that reopens the Hormuz risk premium if talks break.

What happened: Iran disputes the Sunday memorandum signing

On Saturday, President Trump wrote on Truth Social that "The Deal is scheduled to get signed tomorrow, and immediately after it is signed, the Hormuz Strait is OPEN TO ALL." That post set up risk-on positioning into the Sunday futures reopen, with our prior coverage flagging an expected Asia-led repricing across oil, US index futures, and bitcoin.

Hours later, Iranian state media carried a direct response from foreign ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei. He said, "As for the exact timing of the memorandum's signing, we must wait," and added, "Although it will not happen tomorrow, the possibility that it could take place in the coming days cannot be ruled out. However, given the other side's inconsistency, we must remain cautious in making any statements about the process."

Per Al Jazeera, the current memorandum focuses on ending the war and does not yet address Iran's nuclear program, which is narrower than the framework the Trump administration described publicly. Pakistan's Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, who has acted as a mediator, told reporters that electronic signing could follow within roughly 24 hours, but Iran has not confirmed that mechanism. RFE/RL also reported that Qatari mediators traveled to Tehran on Sunday to push the document to closure.

In short, the deal text exists, both governments are still negotiating in good faith, and a signing in the coming days remains plausible. What changed on Sunday is the timeline. Trump said today. Tehran said not today.

Why markets moved (and where reaction sits now)

Cash equities are closed for the weekend, so there is no live tape yet. The Friday June 12 close already priced in deal optimism, with WTI down 3.2 percent to $84.88 and Brent down 3.4 percent to $87.33. Our Saturday Risk Watch on the Sunday signing claim took those prices as the baseline.

The next observable prints will come from:

  • Asia equities at 23:00 UTC Sunday (KOSPI, Nikkei 225, ASX 200).
  • CME equity index futures reopening at 6:00 p.m. ET Sunday (ES, NQ, RTY, YM).
  • CME energy futures reopening at 6:00 p.m. ET Sunday (CL for WTI, BZ for Brent, NG for natural gas).
  • Spot bitcoin and ether, which trade through the weekend and tend to react first to political headlines.

In our ChartDojo session logs, traders who positioned on Saturday for a Sunday signing were treating WTI as a fade and US equity futures as a buy on the gap. The Baghaei statement does not reverse that thesis on its own, but it removes the catalyst that was supposed to confirm it on Monday's open.

Implications for the most impacted trader cohorts

Equity index futures (ES, NQ, RTY, YM): A delayed signing softens the risk-on case for Sunday-evening gaps. Bias shifts from "sell-the-news on a confirmed deal" to a more two-way Asia tape. If the deal lands in the coming days as Baghaei suggests, the risk-on path resumes, just stretched out.

Energy futures (CL, BZ, NG): Oil traders had been pricing a clean Hormuz reopen. A pushed timeline brings back a small Hormuz risk premium until the document is signed. Skew on near-dated WTI calls and short-dated implied volatility are the cleanest places to read positioning into Monday.

Crypto (BTC, ETH): Bitcoin has tracked the Iran headline tape closely all week, with our Friday post flagging BTC trading near $64K into the Warsh FOMC and Iran deal Sunday. Spot crypto will react first to any clarifying headline tonight. Watch dollar liquidity in Asian hours and funding rates on perp contracts.

Single names with energy tape sensitivity: Defense primes, integrated oil majors, refiners, tanker operators, and Persian Gulf-exposed insurers are the cleanest equity readouts of a slipped deal on Monday's open.

Potential positives vs negatives

Upside drivers if Iran signs in the coming days:

  • Hormuz reopens, oil sanctions are waived, and roughly $25 billion in frozen Iranian assets is released, removing the main supply-side risk premium.
  • Risk-on rotation extends into Monday and Tuesday, with bitcoin and small caps as the higher-beta expressions.
  • Long-dated implied volatility resets lower across energy and equity vol, helping vol sellers.

Downside risks if the timeline keeps slipping or breaks:

  • Hormuz risk premium snaps back into Brent and WTI, with a fast move toward Wednesday's highs as the first target.
  • Equity futures gap lower on Sunday evening if Iran or the US signals a stall rather than a delay.
  • Defense and energy outperform while consumer discretionary and travel re-underperform.

What could happen from here (next 24-72 hours)

Base case (45 percent): quiet delay, then a midweek signing. Iran and the US iron out the timing and electronic-signing logistics. Markets open Sunday evening with a modest fade in the risk-on premium, then drift back when a firm signing date is set. Confirmed by: any joint statement naming a signing date by Tuesday. Invalidated by: a fresh statement from either side disputing the text.

Upside case (35 percent): signing within 24-48 hours. Pakistan's electronic-signing mechanism holds, Qatari mediators close the remaining language, and Iran confirms a Monday or Tuesday signing. Oil gaps lower at the Sunday energy reopen, equity futures rally, and bitcoin extends recent strength. Confirmed by: a public Iranian statement endorsing the signing window. Invalidated by: Baghaei or another senior Iranian official repeating the "inconsistency" framing.

Downside case (20 percent): public stall or breakdown. One side walks back the text, a fresh Hormuz incident occurs, or domestic Iranian politics force a delay measured in weeks. Brent and WTI snap higher, equity futures gap lower, and bitcoin tests the lower end of last week's range. Confirmed by: a named senior official from either side disputing the agreed text, or a new naval incident in the Persian Gulf. Invalidated by: continued mediator-led messaging and absence of new Hormuz incidents.

What to watch next (next 24 hours)

  • Any follow-up statement from Iran's foreign ministry or supreme leader's office tonight (Tehran time).
  • White House and State Department comments in response to Baghaei.
  • Sunday-evening CME futures reopen at 6:00 p.m. ET: WTI (CL), Brent (BZ), ES, NQ.
  • Asia equity open: KOSPI, Nikkei 225, ASX 200, and Hang Seng tone on Iran headlines.
  • Bitcoin price action and perpetual funding rates through the Asian session.
  • Any new Persian Gulf naval activity flagged by US Central Command or commercial shipping trackers.

FAQ

Did the US-Iran deal collapse? No. Iran did not reject the text. It pushed back only on the Sunday signing date and said a signing in the coming days remains possible.

What does the spokesperson's "inconsistency" comment mean for traders? It signals that Iran wants firmer guarantees before signing in public. Expect more headline volatility around US statements until the timing is locked in.

Sources

Prior ChartDojo coverage

Ready to train through volatility like this?

Risk Watch days are where bad habits compound fast. Sizing too big on a headline, chasing a fade after the move is gone, or doubling down on a thesis that the tape just broke are mistakes that show up clearly in a structured review. ChartDojo gives you a simulator with real intraday data and AI-powered feedback on every trade, so you can build real skills, not bad habits, before you take that risk to live capital. Start your free trial at chartdojo.io/register and pressure-test your Iran-deal playbook before Monday's open.

Educational content only. Nothing in this post is financial advice. Markets carry real risk of loss; size positions to your own risk tolerance.